Thursday 4 October 2012

Post 6 - The Argus

This is my first and least favourite Circle model. As I said I don't really like this model, it does not go together very well, its pose is weird as it has both its left feet off the ground, (not sure if a dog can do that) and its just not that big and scary for a light warbeast. In fact when compared to the Warpborn that are in the box set, they are bigger and much scarier. Well  I guess thats why I'm painting this first because if I don't I might not get round to it. Having painted five legion minis that now look like they have been recruited into the Circle, I started this with a lot of confidence. 



This was going to be a quick and effective dip. Unfortunately it did nit turn out that way. Dip works well with light colours that provide contrast, with darker colours it does tend to just swamp the model a bit. Note to self - "MUST USE LIGHTER BROWNS IF GOING TO DIP." 


 The armour was a bit fiddley. I wanted to make sure I left a black shadow under the gold and therefore started by painting the armour black. I then coloured in the green bits, and followed this up with gold. I am really pleased with the gold which I made by mixing GW burnished gold with brown. My intention was to create a dull base which I could then highlight with the burnished gold. In fact I have not done this as I like the dull effect that the dip has helped to create. I will save the burnished gold highlight for more stand out models or for those that might bother to polish their armour. A note on the green part of the armour - I should have used a brighter green as the dip has dulled it too much.


The stats for the Argus do seem a bit underwhelming, but it does seem to have a really useful ability - the doppler bark. This ability allows the Argus to reduce the defence of enemy models to 7 and prevent them from running or charging. This means that the Argus can make you almost guarantee to be able to hit certain enemy models.  

I really like the idea of pulling off combos by using abilities such as the doppler bark on an enemy, and following this up with  using other models to pound the now terrified enemy into the ground. Warmachine does seem very differnet to 40k. It feels a bit like Magic the Gathering crossed with a war game. Thats really good because I love MTG.

The next model I paint is going to be the Winter Argus...




No comments:

Post a Comment